[Gllug] Re: list manager advice

Richard Ibbotson richard at sheflug.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 10:52:08 UTC 2001

Jim

> Plenty. I'd recommend Mailman, though, at http://www.list.org/ . >
If you don't like Mailman[1], there's also listar - >
http://www.listar.org/

This is what I was going to say.

I used Listar to run our own list for Sheflug for 18 months or more.
The fella who developed it for DEC Alpha was the other list admin.
Also the Pegasus Mail developer.

Of the two I found Listar easier to use. You just send simple e-mail
commands to it. Since our list server was in New Zealand at ...
www.vuw.ac.nz ..... we found that web pages didn't always work. With
e-mail commands it barfed about twice. No more than that.

Mailman seems to have become very popular and I use it to run our new
list which has only been around a month or two. More than a few
people have found that it's a big blundering piece of software that
is well thought out by the developers but it can be hacked by someone
who doesn't like you.

Majordomo has been cursed in front of me by so many people that I
thought it was best to stay away from it. My adventures with Listar
and Mailman were enough for me :)

Choose your poison ?

--
Richard