[Gllug] More Microsoft FUD

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 22:27:08 UTC 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Richard Hillesley stated:
>                                                   Being "better than the
> standard" means "not following standards".

Oops, GCC's in for it.

(Although many of its more grotty, disgusting, and/or ill-specified
extensions are slowly going away; some can't be removed even though they
don't work, e.g. statement expressions in C++. Lovely concept, totally
non-C-like, and does horrible things to the lifetime-of-temporaries
rules in the C++ Standard which can lead to your objects being destroyed
before you're done with them, whoops. Unfortunately glibc's Evil Macro
Hacks use statement expressions, so we can't remove them, even from
C++ :( )

> I can't remember MS security patches being "immediately posted" to their
> website. This is something that the Linux vendors do much better.

Except for Corel's Debian derivative. (But let's just forget that sorry
episode...)

--
`You're the only person I know who can't tell the difference
 between a pair of trousers and a desk.' --- Kieran, to me

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk