[Gllug] Tax write-offs

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 13:41:21 UTC 2001

> Really never understood the '"it's a tax write-off so doesn't
> cost anything"
> theory !
>
> If I give (eg) #100 to Oxfam (eg again) I can claim back the
> tax on it, so
> at the 22% rate I guess I am only #78 down.  But if I give
> nothing, then I
> am buggar-all down,  so where is the financial advantage of
> giving anything
> to charity ?

I think the idea is this:
Just before the financial year end you are making a hefty profit which
you'll have to pay tax on.
So you "donate" the profit to charity (translation: you use PR to get
advertising for an ultra-cheap price).
Thus you have no tax to pay.
If the charity donation was genuine i.e. secret I can't see where the
advantage is. But businesses' sole aim is to make money so they don't
give to charity out of altruism, just for the cheap advertising and good
PR.

As for the charities welcoming the money surely it's better to for them
to have the freedom then the money. Like cancer charities accepting
tobacco money etc. they'll just become lackeys of the system that causes
the problem in the first place. Charities are only needed because
society has a problem in the first place and big business often gives to
charity to "neuter" them. Rights, not charity, etc.

</OT rant>

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk