[Gllug] Email Formats

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Wed Nov 21 17:07:37 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 15:27, tet at accucard.com wrote:
> >Being able to cut-and-paste sensibly with a wordprocessor is also
> >extremely important, and again, I can't do that with text.
>
> Huh?

Before asking, try it, really. It doesn't work. (nb. I said 'sensibly' -
that means, retains important formatting, doesn't require major
reformatting to get rid of tabs, bad line breaks, etc. etc.)

> If you think you need to italicise text in email, then you're wrong :-)

Okay :)

> Plus, what's stopping you from right justifying text? True, you don't know
> how wide the terminal is, but you can assume 80 columns without problems.

I can assume 80 columns? When rfc 2822 recommends a 78 column max.? :)

I'd really like to see you attempt to right-justify something without
HTML email - if it survives more than two quotings at 80 columns wide,
I'll buy you a pint.

Seriously, I know it's not very fashionable to like HMTL email, but I do
have very real requirements which HMTL email solves. It's not as evil as
most people seem to think..

Cheers,

Alex.