[Gllug] Duplicate Debian setup

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at online.no
Wed Nov 7 00:45:24 UTC 2001

* Steve Nicholson <steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com> spake thus:
> > Still looks like one of the best ideas so far. Quite keen on
> > downloading the .debs and burning those to CD to avoid the cruft
> > that's accumalated around my system as it evolved to be the comfy
> > place it is now.... :)
>
> I hear what your saying. I have been wondering lately how I can put
> testing and unstable on CD's so I can take them home with me.  My folks
> live on a farm and can only get 33kbs on a modem I think it will be
> painful if I want anything since I'm used to ADSL here.  I know there
> are some scripts for creating these but haven't had time to look at them
> yet.  So much to do so little time.....

To get a complete list of the most up-to-date packages w/o downloading
extra the ones you already have, you can use the two lines below. The -d
option tell it to just download, not do not actually go ahead and
re-install anything. --reinstall has to be used so that you are sure
that teh package will be downloaded even if the version installed is the
latest one but you have deleted the deb (unlikely maybe, but you
(almost) never know...). I used this method to download things to my
laptop and bringing it to my friend and copying it over to her machine.

apt-get update && apt-get autoclean
apt-get install --reinstall -d `dpkg --get-selections | cut -f 1`

The downloaded .debs are stored in /var/cache/apt/archive, and the
package lists (from the server) are stored in /var/lig/apt/lists (on
woody/sid) or /var/state/apt/lists (on potato). These can all be just
copied over to the new machine.

Regards,
Stig

--