[Gllug] Large mail files was -> RedHat

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 00:10:28 UTC 2001

Steve Nicholson wrote:

> This is a little off putting for me at the moment, I haven't played with
> journalling FS, my /var is a separate partition so I guess I could do
> this. Can live ext2 be converted to Journalling FS ok (taking necessary
> backup precautions in case of problems obviously).

You can easily convert to ext3 with tune2fs -j, assuming a compatible
set of ext2 utils, and kernel support. You can even do this on the fly -
use tune2fs, and then simply remount the fs as ext3. It's fully backward
compatible, so you should have an easy way back out.

> Is Resiser FS ok to
> go with now or is there another I should be looking at?  Didn't SGI
> release theirs?

It's fairly decent now. There's no dump for it, which is a disadvantage
IMO, but it is in the stock kernel. SGI have released XFS, which does
provide xfsdump, and is a tried and tested fs. Downside is it's a fairly
large set of patches to the kernel.

> I'm using Debian, will do a search on Google to check if there are any
> issues with this.

I believe that the debian package for Cyrus is version 1.6, which is
very old. You should probably build your own deb from the source.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk