[Gllug] ASP on Linux

Simon Wilcox simonw at simonwilcox.co.uk
Wed Nov 28 12:45:41 UTC 2001

On 28 Nov 2001, Xander D Harkness wrote:

> The only asp for Linux solutions I could find were from halcyonsoft and
> chillisoft.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either - enough to be able to
> recommend one or the other?

Is scripting using VBScript important to you ?

If not you could try Apache::ASP which allows you to use the ASP
document/object model with perlscript, running under mod_perl on Apache.

ActiveState also do a perlscript module to plug into IIS so the code would
be portable.

IMO, the biggest problem with the ASP model is that all the business logic
really needs to be handled by external code. Chillisoft allows you to wrap
up java objects (which seems pretty cool) but doesn't mention DLL's
created using VB which is probably the most common way of doing it on
Windoze. I would suspect that these wouldn't be portable. This is a Bad
Thing [tm].

Basic asp pages and connections to common databases should work just fine.

In terms of experience, I've heard good things from an investment bank a
couple of years ago that were using Chillisoft to deploy asp pages
developed on NT/IIS onto Solaris/Apache platforms for live use. They
seemed very happy with it.

HTH, as always YMMV :-)

Simon.

--
"Unix is like a Vorlon - strange, powerful, terse, cryptic, and there's a
lot of stuff going on the the background you don't understand."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk