[Gllug] server logbook program?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Nov 1 11:34:44 UTC 2001

On 11/1/01, 2:53:00 AM, "Steve Nicholson"
<steve.nicholson at yoursolutions.com> wrote regarding [Gllug] server logbook
program?:

> what do you use to log changes on your server?

I use RCS to log changes to the config files on my servers.  Each has a
script called rcsvi with this in:

#!/bin/bash
#
# rcs-wrapped editor
/usr/bin/co -l $1
${EDITOR:-vi} $1
/usr/bin/rcsdiff -u $1
/usr/bin/ci -u $1

So I edit config files by typing

	rcsvi filename

which loads the file into my preferred editor and when I save and exit it
shows me the changes I have made and asks for a note to add to the
revision log.

Since RCS logs the changes to filename in "filename,v" I can quickly find
which files I have altered and a precise log of the changes to each.  For
example:

$ rlog /etc/xinetd.conf

RCS file: /etc/RCS/xinetd.conf,v
Working file: /etc/xinetd.conf
head: 1.2
branch:
locks: strict
        root: 1.2
access list:
symbolic names:
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 2;     selected revisions: 2
----------------------------
revision 1.2    locked by: root;
date: 2001/06/24 18:18:27;  author: root;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -1
Changed auth service
----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 2001/06/24 18:17:29;  author: root;  state: Exp;
Initial revision

So I haven't made many changes to /etc/xinetd on this computer but I know
what I did and when.  And using revision control means I can roll back to
any previous version.

Since you want a remote backup of your entire config for a server, why
not use CVS?  Just check in the entire /etc tree as a module, then do a
cvs commit after making any changes.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk