[Gllug] HTML email formatting

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Nov 21 21:19:55 UTC 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 04:48:14PM +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> Yes, I didn't say it was impossible though: just that it's not as easy
> to work with. For example, in pine you can Ctrl-J to re-justify text and
> fix broken quoting. However, this breaks with some text (containing >,
> for example) requiring manual fixing,

It may break in Pico but Vim handles it with no problem, automatically
reformatting paragraphs and re-positioning quoting characters.  For
example, I just broke your paragraph in the middle of a line.  3
keystrokes will reformat the rest of the paragraph as new:

> and shouldn't really need to be done anyway. Yes, you can type in a
> URL, but again, it's not so easy.  Especially if it's a long one: text
> mail should have lines no longer than 72 characters, so if you do have
> a link longer than that it's susceptible to breaking. There are lots
> of minor niggles like that which just aren't present in HTML email.

So there :-P  The smarter text editors have been designed with just
these occasions in mind (even emacs;).

--
Bruce

The most interesting thing about King Charles the First is that he was
five foot six inches tall at the start of his reign but only four foot
eight inches tall at the end of it. -- Monty Python