[Gllug] mail servers / pop3

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Nov 13 13:59:23 UTC 2001

Paul Brazier(pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk)@Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 04:26:35PM -0000:

> Thanks, that's made it a lot clearer.
> Sounds like (b) is the way to go as it gives you instant access to amend
> your configuration.
> The downside is I guess you have to keep your nameserver running OK or
> everything crashes.
> Are there any other potential problems to be aware of?

make sure you have backup servers, secondary and tertiary ones.
never use wild card MX records.
make sure there always visible!

dont do a verio and set the cache timeouts really low, so in the event
of a server going down, your DNS entries dont dissapaear from the face
of the planet.

> So to set up your own "proper" nameserver, you both have to have named
> or whatever running *plus* let your ISP know you want to be
> authoritative for your domain?

yes, it's a doddle to setup really, just read up on the FAQ's first for
do's and dont's.  oh, and if you can, set up a test DNS first to get the
hang of it.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk