[Gllug] 2.4.15 ext2 broken

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Sat Nov 24 09:44:31 UTC 2001

On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 00:08, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> > People might like to know -
> >
> > 2.4.15 has an ext2 filesystem corruption bug.
> >
> > Which is a problem, cos I'm running 2.4.15 :/
>
> Does it affect ext3?

Actually, it appears to affect all filesystems. If anyone follows lkml,
I think I recommend Al Viro's patch atm - Al Viro and Andrea are
breaking out into pseudo-flamewar over how to fix the problem, and
patches are flying back and forth, but there's no blessed patch at the
moment (at least, Linus likes Andrea's patch, but Andrea's only fixing
ext2).

What's worse is that although fsck can fix the broken filesystems, upon
shutdown they appear to unmount cleanly (although broken), so you don't
get the automatic check on boot. So, shutdown -F is apparently
recommended. Boo hiss :(

Cheers,

Alex.