[Gllug] Lindows

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 21:28:35 UTC 2001

Gordon Joly wrote:

> MVS used to that on IBM mainframe hardware (simultaneous operating systems)....

Not quite. It is the hardware/firmware which enables the running of
simultaneous operating systems, by means of "logical partitioning"
(LPAR). MVS (OS/390, zOS) is just one of the operating systems which can
run in an LPAR on the S/390 (eServer-z or something like that) hardware.
And what's with the "used to"? IBM mainframes are still with us and are
still bloody good at what they do (massive I/O).

Linux is another such OS BTW, although its main mainframe application is
to run hundreds of Linux images in a single partition using VM (which of
course can be in an LPAR).

Interestingly the latest range of servers Sun are producing appear to
have the same facility and are being marketed as "mainframes". Plus ca
change and all that.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk