[Gllug] Duplicate debian setup

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Tue Nov 6 15:12:11 UTC 2001

Without going to the hassle of creating a Debian mirror and burning a
set of unofficial CDs using the pseudo-image-kit, does anyone know of
a way of creating bootable ISO images from a working Debian
installation?

Perhaps a little more detail would help. I have a copy of debian
unstable running happily on my desktop at work. There is also a naked
PC sitting in my room at home[1] I'd quite like to have a mirror of
the installation from the work machine available on the home machine
(which happens to be completely Net-less)

There are three possibilities that I can see:

1) Burn a set of custom bootable CDs, complete (and replete) with all
   the .debs available (effectively a snapshot of unstable)

2) List the available packages that I have already installed, download
   those, and then burn them to disc. Then install Debian stable from
   the discs that I have kicking about, update the sources.list to
   include the carefully burnt CD and do an apt-get update/dist-uprade

3) Take the disk out of my work PC and make a direct copy.

Option 3 is not going to happen, for various reasons, but your
thoughts on the others please?

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Don't. I can read you like a book. A rather smutty book. So stop
    thinking like that. :)

--
'"A man who wears a bow tie is not to be trusted," one expert
advised. Of course not. He can't look you straight in the face. The

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk