[Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Mon Nov 12 12:14:03 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Bailey" <baileyj at bournemouth.ac.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Public IPs - When are they appropriate

> Private IP's are a good way of hidding a number of computers behine one
IP,
> i.e. if your using ADSL or Cable modem where the service provider
prohibits
> connection shareing....

Yeah, there is no reason for most of the workstations in this office to have
a public IP and it is soooooo much easier when you can just plug a machine
into the network and let DHCP handle the rest.  We are moving offices in two
weeks and all the workstations will just get plugged into the new network
(with existing workstations) and everything will sort itself out (probably).
Marvelous.  This also means we get to save some precious IP's for usefull
things like servers :-)

Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk