[Gllug] Large mail files was -> RedHat

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Mon Nov 5 10:06:52 UTC 2001

On Sat, 2001-11-03 at 21:55, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Steve Nicholson wrote:
> >

> I have all my mail on a Cyrus IMAP server. Here, I have a GLLUG folder
> with over 16000
> messages in it, that loads in less than 2 seconds in Netscape. Netscape
> caches the headers, so it takes longer if I go to a new machine and read
> all 16000 headers, but I do that rarely, and it's still not too slow.

Yes indeed.

Sadly Evolution seems to re-read all of the folders and headers each
time,
which is a bit sad.

Evolution though seems to properly implement off-line working,
ie. you you can deal with your email on the train or something.
(I haven't really used this in anger yet, so don't think it is
100% trustworthy yet).

> Cyrus stores each message as a separate file - that being the case, a
> Reiserfs partition is a good idea for your /var/spool/imap directory, as
> it's overwhelmingly small files.
Agreed. That's a very good idea.

BTW, on this topic,
has anyone ever heard of small HSM systems being used for email?
Email is getting more and more 'business cricical' these days -
and people expect to be able to retreive email from yonks ago.
Dean I think has some nice war stories on that recently. Grin.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk