No Keyboard = No Boot (was: Re: [Gllug] Changing machine's IP address)

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Mon Nov 5 10:42:07 UTC 2001

On Monday 05 November 2001 10:35 am, you wrote:
> Our COmpaq 1850R servers do the same.
> I just leave keyboards on them (takes up space though) or put them
> on the KVM switch.
> Corega do nice cheap KVM switches, complete with cables.

One thing to watch out for: many small, simple KVMs (beige boxes with rotary
knobs) generally don't do the job. You need something more than just a switch
on signal lines to do the job properly (kbdclk springs to mind), and so these
things which are essentially only switches often have 'side-effects' (such as
losing keyboard input when you switch from machine to machine!)

Cheers,
						Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk