Distro version numbers - Was:; Re: [Gllug] RH 7.1 -> 7.2 upgrade problems

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 01:35:00 UTC 2001

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Roger Whittaker spake:
> Thanks for this - people sometimes forget how much of the important
> development work is funded and actually done by SuSE, RedHat etc

None. Humans working for those companies do the work; and in many
(hopefully most) cases, they'd still do it even if they weren't working
for a Linux distributor (just not so fast).

Picky point, maybe, but I don't want to see the sort of attitude that
leads to e.g. HP stating in their manpages' authors sections things like

: awk was developed by AT&T and Hewlett-Packard, Inc.

(Really; no mention of Aho, Weinberger or Kernighan. HP's manpage trolls
seem to think that only corporate entities can ever produce anything.)

Individuals exist. Corporations are merely fictions, incapable of
*doing* anything at all.

--
`Many people have tried whispering in his ear, and indeed bellowing
 with megaphones but up to now he's seemed to be completely

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk