[Gllug] Potential dodgy hard drive? What to do

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Nov 9 15:36:59 UTC 2001

The place thrived on it... You should have seen their no-name SPARC box that
they were trying to install Solaris on. Weeks of effort went into it I'm
told. It is possibly the only machine that took longer to install the OS
than it lasted in production.

Then there was the whole fixation of: 'nobody's code is good enough to mix
with our system'. That was painful; it's not as if their code was all that
fantastic. I had to really work hard to push people into pretty basic stuff
(like not embedding HTML in PERL code, slightly normalised database tables,
etc). You can forget about fancy stuff like mod_perl...

It was a complete nightmare. Fortunately I was just there to take their
money and finish uni; then I left. For some reason they were surprised by my
departure.

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk