[Gllug] bash startup

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Thu Nov 1 18:01:24 UTC 2001

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 12:10:58PM -0500, SteveC wrote:
> Having installed the bash package for FreeBSD I put /usr/local/bin/bash
> for my shell in the passwd entry, and /usr/local/bin/bash also appears in
> /etc/shells but bash never comes up, I get sh instead. bash is runnable
> from sh.
>
> Any idea why it wouldn't start? Can't see anything in the logs...

why not try and follow the execution of the login binary, and see what it's attempting to exec?  might give you an insight into whats happening.  i'm assuming BSD has something like strace to use for the purpose.

wow, have i ever mentioned using that proggie before?
mmm, i think so.

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk