[Gllug] Re-exporting SMB

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Nov 9 10:21:04 UTC 2001

At 11:10 09/11/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I'm currently wading through the docs at samba.org looking for a way of
>re-exporting an SMB share from a linux box as an NFS export.
>Basically I'm being a cheapskate; I don't want to fork out the hundreds
>of pounds for NFS server capability on the Win2000 box. I was just
>wondering if anyone had already done this or alternatively knew that it
>was immpossible.
>I can mount the SMB share on the linux box, but have not yet managed to
>get in exported via NFS.
You want to be looking in the docs of nfs.  Once it's mounted on your file
system then you just export it like you export any other nfs share.
You might want to look into having the samba share mounted using the
automounter because if the windows box is restarted then you lose the
connection.  I've set up my samba shares to automatically disconnect after
a couple of minutes of inactivity and then reconnect on demand.  Don't know
if this will work with the nfs bit though because it might think it is
being permanently used.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk