[Gllug] Email Formats

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Nov 22 11:06:11 UTC 2001

>What I would like is a subset of HTML to avoid the abuse where you could
>have;
>
>A few different fonts
>About four colours.
>Background highlighting but only shades of grey
>Underline
>Tables
>Ladies

But that's *precisely* what caused HTML's downfall. Physical markup
is *bad* when you don't have control of the output medium. Instead,
you should be aiming for logical markup that says "this section should
be emphasised", etc. That way, the MUA can present the information
to the user to the best of its ability. The user can even customize
it to suit their own tastes ("I want emphasised text to be show in
15pt bold italic ITC Garamond, underlined, with a flashing yellow
and purple border").

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk