[Gllug] Office software

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 10:20:02 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:53:12AM +0100, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Star Office and Open Office both kill my laptop - brick/paperweight
> dead.  I am not sure where to start giving bug reports ;-).

Yes. We (the Linux comminity) make claims that Linux runs on old/small hardware.
This can be true for server type apps, but not for modern desktop stuff.
Gnome eats memory and open/closes hundreds of files for no apparent reason - slow.

IMHO: gnome/kde developers should be forced to use 100MHz pentiums with 32 Mb ram.
We would soon see a rapid drop in machine resources needed.

I ran Star Office on my 48Mb laptop earlier this year as I had to handle .doc files
(ordered to do so by a judge -- don't ask).
I used fvwm2 (rather than the gnome enviroment) but was bumping along at 120Mb memory
usage - slow.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>