[Gllug] Erratic Mouse Behaviour

James.Rocks at equant.com James.Rocks at equant.com
Wed Nov 28 11:09:04 UTC 2001

Hi,

I am new to Linux but got the opportunity to try SuSE Linux 7.1 for £5 when
I visited (somewhat ironically) the Windows 2001 eNTerprise Show :-)

I had successfully configured Linux on a system with Star Office and Kernel
2.4
Here but the mouse is totally crackers! The mouse used at install time was
a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Optical which work fine on any Windows
system I use. It is attached exactly as for Windows as I am using removable
disk drives.

The mouse is almost impossible to control & jumps erratically from point to
point on the screen with windows popping up and moving.

I've been looking up on the net and the common solution cited for this is
hardware (i.e. dirty contacts and so on) but this is not a hardware issue
as I have tried two mice and both work absolutely perfectly under Win 2K &
Me. As I say above one mouse is an optical mouse (MS) so I figure it MUST
be OS support or configuration related.

For information the hardware I am using is as follows:

ABit KA7-100 motherboard (with HighPoint ATA 100 bus), Athlon 1Ghz CPU,
512Mb RAM, removable hard drives (test drive was a 10Gb UDMA 2 drive), SB
Live Soundcard, Diamond Viper V770 Ultra video card, Compaq 3132 NIC,
Microsoft Keyboard & Intellimouse & 17" Belinea (Mitsubishi Diamondtron
tube) monitor.

I re-installed the OS as a lower version than 2.4 (2.1.26 I think) and the
problems seem to have largely disappeared ... does anyone have any idea why
this is and how I can upgrade successfully to the latest Kernel (if,
indeed, that is the issue)?

Thanks

'Dead
*****