[Gllug] google down?

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Mon Nov 12 13:48:49 UTC 2001

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:19:36PM +0000, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Dan Kolb wrote:
> > Admittedly, they did have a point - one of the Oxford colleges was
> > recently sued for a large amount of money by Sony
>
> There's more than a rumour that UoN were threatened by Lucasfilm over
> Episode 1 (apparently someone decided to hold a rather too public "private
> screening" or somesuch) but I don't give a damn - it's not an excuse to
> restrict everything else too, although I'll grant that blocking certain
> file sharing networks might be in their interest...

That sort of thing used to be reasonably common in the UoN CS
department. I seem to recall a few people being taken to one side and
asked to delete chunks of the home directory. Of course, with nominal
quotas[1], you couldn't really store that much in your account anyway.

> As I said before, my department choose to interpret all these legal
> threats as an excuse to (last year) remove the departmental serving of
> student web pages, routinely scan for certain types of file, etc. etc.

MP3s were the first, in '97 I think. Caused a bit of a stink, because
some people actually had legitmate files there anyway and there wasn't
much warning.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] Each user was meant to use at most 20MB or so, but if the disks
    weren't full you could get away with more. Indeed, if the disks
    were filling up, it was fine to go over for a short time (couple
    of days or so) May have got the storage space wrong,
    there. *shrugs*

--
Beer, beer, good for the heart \ The more you drink, the bigger it gets
and the cleaner your arteries \ That's got to be good, hasn't it?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk