[Gllug] hardware problems

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 00:03:37 UTC 2001

I have recently bought myself what was supposed to be a nice new fast box to see me through
the next few years. I have had all sorts of problems.

It is a 1.4GHz athelon with 512Mb DDR ram, 266 MHz FSB. 3C905C network card (utp 100Mb).

I installed RedHat Linux 7.1 with the 2.4.12 kernel.

I sent it back as it had stability problems - would die for no reason, hitting CPU reset did nothing.

Comes back: new motherboard, OK it has stayed up for 4 days, no prolems there.

FTPing files to it is another matter, I get all sorts of errors. These seem to occur:
*	at file offsets that end in (hex) f or 7, these will all be a 1 bit error (the same bit)
*	in chunks of errors, from 31 to 1175 long - all except one was an odd number of bytes long
	and ended (last byte in error) on an even numbered byte.
	These chunks will contain runs of the same bit(s) in error ending on a byte with address ending in
	the (hex) digit 1.

The numbers aren't huge, but anything is too much.  For instance a 10Mb file that I am looking at now
contains 12996 bytes in error.

I bring the CPU speed down to 1Ghz and the FSB to 200MHz and everything works.

I have a funny feeling that the 3C905C may have problems with a high FSB.

Can anyone confirm this or come up with a better idea ?

TIA

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>