[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Thu Oct 25 13:27:21 UTC 2001

On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 14:12, Alex Hudson wrote:
> I would be surprised if they had broken rc4(?) encryption.

*blink*

*blink again*  :-)  Where did that come from?

They aren't encrypted, they're password protected.  The file's left
entirely intact, with a flag set in the document - AIUI - that it's
entirely optional to pay attention to.  Furthermore, how do you propose
Microsoft exported RC4 from the US to the entire world?

> I think we would have heard about it by now..

On a separate point, that's an information theory issue.  While I like
stream ciphers - and RC4 - a lot, I'm don't imagine that "we'd have
heard about it by now" if they[1] were broken by rand($organisation).

~C.

[1]: Or indeed, any cryptosystem based on something that we haven't even
proven NP-hard.

--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
         "In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk