[Gllug] Linux 2.4.12 & ADSL

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Oct 18 15:29:30 UTC 2001

[ Please excuse formatting and lack of threading...this mail sent using
  telnet to port 25 due to internal mail server not up until tonight ]

Hi,

So aside from the above bit about my lack of organisation in my house
in Nottingham, the reason you can't get 2.4.12 working is because the
PPPoverATM breaks when combined with the more recent PPP stuff in
kernels greater than 2.4.9 - or so it seems, I've not had much chance
to be in Reading to look in to it.

Can I suggest that you apply the ATM patches to 2.4.9 and use that
because it does work. Then *install a journalised filesystem*
and *turn off swap* and set *panic=5* in your boot program's
kernel command line paramter option. The *s are to somehow denote
that these things are very very important :)

You'll find that there are random oopses and panic()s every so often
(I get one panic per week on average now - that's down from one a
day initially although this might also partly be hardware related
as I've not had chance to completely rule that out, but I know of
others with similar reliability issues and it is mentioned in the
setup docs). Don't just use the LinuxDude.co.uk website because
although it is very good, the linux-usb.org site with the original
HOWTO is very useful indeed. Can I think of anything else to ramble
on about? no, but if you get problems please give me a shout because
I've spent enough time doing this over the last couple of weeks :)

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk