[Gllug] [Q] Digital Camera Recomendations

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 12:31:48 UTC 2001

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Steve Goodwin wrote:

> > > Moral of the story: buy one that has an ordinary viewfinder
> > and turns

An optical viewfinder is an absolute must. It is much easier to
frame photos with, you can use it in bright sunlight and it
doesn't eat the batteries so quickly.

> > its OK - my main gripe is that there is a delay of a few
> > seconds bettwen me
> > pressing the button and the picture being taken :-(

The same goes for my Olympus c-960. I suspect this is the
case for all digital cameras. It was the most difficult
thing to get used to when moving from film.

> IMHO, the most important part of the equation is colour balancing (more so
> than resolution) which you can only _really_ find out by experimenting. If
> you're after a family snaps type of camera then mine (Digimax 600) is
> useless :( because all flesh tones get washed out because CCD can't tell the
> diference. Using it on buildings and nature scenes are fine, however. (and
> only cost £80!)

Of course the GIMP can work magic with colour correction after the fact :)
Although obviously it's best to get a camera that takes good pics in the
first place. My c-960 seems to do well, and olympus in general have a good
name in digital cameras (well they did when I was looking 18 months ago).
However I only download the photos under windows (sheer laziness I know)
so I cannot vouch for it's linux compatability.

Huw

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk