[Gllug] start sleeping processes from another VT?

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Tue Oct 9 13:33:08 UTC 2001

>Below is output from PS and strace of "kill -CONT", I am logged in as
>root, any ideas as what I can try?  I haven't tried killing off
>processes yet, only want to do that as last resort worried about having
>to start all over again.

Ah, now I see the problem. Note that a process in state S is still
alive, it just doesn't currently have CPU time, so sending it a
SIGCONT won't help (that only restarts processes that have been
stopped, and hence are in a T state).

The fact that it's sleeping only means that it isn't currently
running. Despite claiming to be a multitasking OS, it's really only an
illusion. Each process is run for a short period of time and then sent
to sleep while another process is run. On a single CPU system, there
will only ever be one process running at any given point, so the fact
that it's asleep doesn't mean very much (particularly as the running
process is pretty much guaranteed to be ps). On multi CPU machines,
you can have one running process per CPU.

What happens if you strace some of the processes that you're interested
in? My guess is they're probably all waiting on a select, but if you're
lucky, they might be doing something that gives you more information.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk