[Gllug] Debian 2.2r3 Fun....

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Thu Oct 4 15:24:10 UTC 2001

Good point - chmod a-x it from another terminal *doh* :-)

I have a problem with gdm-ximian that if gdm starts straight away the
keyboard simply doesn't work, but if I boot into single, chmod a-x it, then
boot and then run gdm from the shell the keyboard will work.

I mean I can't even switch terms. Its bizarre. I havn't seen anything
relavent in the log and since the machine hardly reboots it doesn't biother
me much. Oh well.

* SteveC (steve at fractalus.com) wrote:
> * Roberto D'Amico (rdamico at metascybe.co.uk) wrote:
> > Is there any control sequence to terminate a current x session?
> > Can I interrupt the boot sequence before it starts xdm?
>
> When lilo comes up dont go "Linux" but type "linux single" then hit the root
> password as asked. then chmod a-x /etc/init.d/xdm
>
> then hit ctrl-d and it will boot without xdm
>
> to get it back, chmod a+x the same thing and reboot / run the script as root
> "/etc/init.d/xdm start && logout"
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC steve at fractalus.com fractalus.com/steve stevecoast at hushmail.com
>
> --