[Gllug] Fight! Fight! Fight!

Davies Sue sdavies at barking-dagenham.gov.uk
Mon Oct 15 11:49:26 UTC 2001

I haven't always worked in IT, I used to be a Trading Standards Officer, you
know fair trading and all that.  From what I have seen of working with M$
products they breach just about every clause in civil and criminal
legislation that relates to fitness for purpose and description.

Take NT, we have a corporate strategy to use NT wherever possible and even
when it's not.  We now have an Oracle finance and personnel system that is
supposed to replace the mainframe and be accessible to up to 750 users.  If
you put on more than about 80 people on the servers die, so now having spent
a fortune on it we are going to move to a unix platform (they want sun cos
oracle recommended it - but going on their NT recommendation I'm not so
sure.  All I get told over and over is that the problems are caused by the
app not the os - if so why are so many other people running on unix
platforms without any difficulty.

I have an NT desktop, it's so touchy constantly giving me grief.  I also
have a redhat desktop, it sits there quietly and does what I need, it never
gets uppity or gives me trouble.

I know I haven't been doing this forever and I know that I don't know
everything but reading that article convinced me that this guy knows even
less than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue

http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk

CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER

This email is confidential to the initial email addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately on +44 (0)20 8592 4500 and delete the message
from all locations in your computer network. You should not copy
this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its
contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Due to the informal nature of this form of communication
the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (the "Council")
hereby excludes any warranty as to the quality or accuracy
of any information contained in this message and any liability
of any kind for the information contained in it, or for its
transmission, reception, storage or use in any way whatsoever.
As a result in the absence of prior non-email agreement written
or otherwise this email does not legally bind the Council to any
relations or obligations in English or other Jurisdiction law

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk