[Gllug] Underclocking an Athlon

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Mon Oct 1 13:01:48 UTC 2001

You can underclock your chip. On mine I can do it from the BIOS which is
very handy.

What is the temperature of the chip on load. Have a look here and it will
surprise you how high these things can go to although stability would be
long gone before most of these temperatures where reached

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/maxtemp.htm

At the moment mine will run around 35 degrees when GIMPS is running it goes
to fifty. If I am playing Unreal Tournament it has been up to 60 degrees. I
also have 3 20Gb HD's in the machine that has taken the system temperature
up a bit.

Another thing to make sure is that you do not have a cooling short in your
PC.

harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk