[Gllug] On Linux desktops...

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Oct 18 13:43:21 UTC 2001

On Thursday 18 October 2001 1:46 pm, you wrote:
> >I didn't say anywhere it was getting a pointer from X: it isn't. This lynx
> > is running on a console tty, no X involvement whatsoever.
>
> Actually, you discussed the two separate cases of Lynx running on the
> console and under X.

Yes. I think the point was they behave identically :)

> >Even though I can display a bitmap in it?
>
> I must have missed that in the bash documentation.

Not bash. Check out fbi, for example.

> Clearly, but I can only go by what's actually out there; and what's
> out there are little buttons with pictures that might as well be words
> and little buttons with pictures that change (in the way that words
> might.)

Please don't mistake me for an apologist for current GUIs - I'm pretty sure
that in my first email I said that they suck :) Take the Word toolbar though
- would you prefer "Bold" or "B"? Would you prefer "right-justify" to the
bars icon? I personally think these are excellent icons, but disagree if you
must!

Cheers,
				Alex.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk