[Gllug] Proxy awareness campaign

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 18:26:57 UTC 2001

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 02:03:11PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> BT definately don't want you running servers off your ADSL I checked out
> their terms and conditions some months back, a server is definatlely a no,
>   no as was connecting the ADSL link to anything other than a single
> machine which may not be connected to a network.  If you wanted your
> machine to connect to say the children's pc in their bedroom, pay more,
> shades of M$ client licensing?  I believe that many of the newer packages
> allow this now, and to be fair I haven't checked BT terms and conditions
> for their newer packages.
>
> Peace Jim

Hi
Assuming those terms and conditions were from BT's ISP department (BT
Openworld) then do not get your ADSL line from them.

Mailbox are one ISP that have no problems with many clients or servers
at the end of an ADSL line, and there are certain to be many other ISPs
that do not wear jackboots. These ISPs resell the line from BT IP Stream
(the ADLS infrastructure), not from BT Openworld.

Due to the occasional outage, limited bandwidth, and extra router hops
professional servers will be colocated at a proper hosting company.
So most of the ADSL boxes will be amater or low bandwidth with the
exception of the occasional illegal napster or warez user which would
be covered by t&c of almost all ISPs (and the law).

--
|    John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com                          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk