[Gllug] Escrows - Hypothetical GPL questions

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Oct 8 21:46:56 UTC 2001

On Mon 08 Oct, Mark Preston made the following spurious claims:

> I would like to know what actually happens in such cases. e.g. how long
> does it normally take for the source code to be released after the software
> provider goes bankrupt? What are the rights of the company(s) who
> receive the source code - can they modify it for their own use, or are
> they restricted in any way? Could they release it as GPL, or could they
> develop it commercially? Does it depend on the terms of the source code
> escrow itself, or perhaps the lawyers' abilities?

I really can't say.  All I know is I've worked for a number of
closed-source (the horror, the horror) software development companies,
including my current employer, who were all forced contractually to
put their code into escrow.

I suspect it's probably all up to the terms of the contract.  You
could try searching for escrow services on the net.  They'll probably
have a reasonable explanation of what their business is and how it
works.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net