[Gllug] way off topic eateries

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 22:18:07 UTC 2001

On Tues 30th Oct Richard Cottrill wrote:-
"- '[The Original] Lahore Kebab House' - just off Commercial Rd near
Whitechapel. Reasonable prices, basic service, BYOG, eat the lamb chops."

Not really the original. If my memory serves me correctly the original Lahore
Kebab House was just called the 'Lahore' and was a curry house on the corner
of Whitechapel Road and New Road. I use the term curry house loosely. At the
time I remember it in the early 1980's it had two dishes - "chicken curry"
and "meat curry". There was no rice. You were given a glass of water and a
naan bread with whatever curry you chose. You went up to the counter, picked
up a bowl, pointed to the vat containing either the chicken or meat. Then the
chef dipped his ladle in and brought up your meal. One curious feature was
the yard out the back which housed the open air toilet and always about 20
cats.

The main redeeming features back then were the price -90p, the proximity to
the London Hospital Dental Institute where I was studying, the taste of the
curries and their nutritional value. The original curry house was knocked
down along with another curry house nearby called the Shangri-La, and the
area was redeveloped. The proprietors of the 'Lahore' relocated to Commercial
Road and set up 'Lahore Kebab House'. There they expanded their repertoire
and went upmarket. Last time I went there was about ten years ago. What does
the G stand for in BYOG?

--
Regards from Mark Preston

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk