[Gllug] Strange Attractor Talk

Kim Hawtin kim at aldigital.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 13:10:59 UTC 2001

>   I work on a voluntary basis for the Highbury Roundhouse Community Centre
>  in Islington, they are planning to get some new computers, If they can
>  find someone willing to give them the dosh.
>
>   The main office and the computer classroom are about 50 metres away,
>  nothing in the middle.
>
>   Because the charity is keeping up with very limited resources, and now
>  they have an ISDN line in the back building, I think it would be
>  economically wise in the long run to get ADSL, and connect the networks
>  in both buildings, wiring is not an option. NTL 25 UKP/M.
>
>  Speed is not a problem I suppose 11 Mbit would be more than enough
>  considering ADSL speed.
>
>  How much would the hardware cost? And what hardware would be advisable?
>
>  The back building with the classroom is connected through a P120, 24MB
>  RAM, running SmoothWall 0.98. Now there are 6 computers, but we hope that
>  we will add about 6 more. The office is running a mix of W98 and W95.
>  Three PC's  in there.

there are a range of ehternet bridge style wireless thingies that
would prolly be best suited to you application.

the dlink dwl-1000 comes to mind, but thats because i read an
article on it yesterday ...

http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/DlinkAccessPoint

is a starting point!

yours,
kim
--
                    \\|||//
                   /  / ^  \
   | Kim Hawtin          Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755  | "Time is an
   | A.L. Digital Ltd.   Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995  |  illusion.
   | The Stores                                   |  Lunch time,
   | 2 Bath Road       http://www.thebunker.net   |  doubly so."
   | London W4 1LT     http://www.aldigital.co.uk |  - Ford Prefect
   | UNITED KINGDOM|   mailto:kim at aldigital.co.uk |
                 .oooO   (   |