[Gllug] MySQL - hiding databases

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 09:24:53 UTC 2001

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for!

If anyone else is installing mysql I've had an annoying problem with
"mysqld dead but subsys locked" if I try to start or stop the mysql
server. It seems the setup instructions are wrong and because mysql is
run as user "mysql", if you create the inital system databases as root,
mysql can't access them. I think the solution is to change the
safe_mysqld script to say "user=mysql" instead of "user=root" and DON'T
run the mysql_install_db script as root because it's this that creates
the database files as root. Either that or just try to start mysql
without running mysql_install_db and it should create the system
database automatically. There are loads of posts on Usenet with this
problem but I think I've got it sorted now.

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk