[Gllug] Debian 2.2r3 Fun....

David Irvine co2cool at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 23:31:40 UTC 2001

Roberto D'Amico wrote:

 >Hi all,
 >

 >I installed Debian 2.2r3 yesterday, I love apt-get :), and I've come
up with
 >a slight problem.
 >After installing it running startx would bomb out. I tracked the problem
 >down to not having configure ed my mouse correctly.
 >
 >I edited the XF86Config file and set it to us a PS/2 mouse on
/dev/psaux. I
 >then ran startx, it loaded up fine but my mouse was jumping about all over
 >the place. The mouse I'm using is a Razor Boomslang USB with a USB-2-PS/2
 >adapter.  This is not my main problem. I'm sure I can fix that, but when I
 >installed I'd forgotten that I'd selected to use xdm! So now whenever I
 >start the system up it boot straight in X/WindowMaker and I can't get
out of
 >it.
 >
 >Is there any control sequence to terminate a current x session?
 >Can I interrupt the boot sequence before it starts xdm?
 >

 >Cheers
 >Roberto

Try init 3

if X is booting automatically your probably  got your default runlevel
set to 5 which is usually gui.  RL 3 is usually   multiuser, if you
switch  to init 3 it should allow you to go  back to normal.
Alternatively just edit your config file so that  X uses xdm and restart X.

HTH

D (Still VERY drunk from last night,)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk