[Gllug] Opinions on Smoothwall and other firewalls

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Oct 5 11:21:06 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 12:02:24PM +0100, Walid wrote:

> > Contact Tushar at Turtle Networks. He I'm sure can configure a good firewall
> > for you, based on BSD.
>
> That is the way to go OpenBSD, I like that :)

There's one advantage that I can see with the *BSD ipfilter tools over
iptables: it's older, and therefore has had more testing.

Now that Linux has (finally) got stateful filtering, I can't see any
reason why it shouldn't be a sensible choice for a PC based
firewall. Now all you want to consider is content filtering.... :)

Cheers,

Simon

--
"The Garbage Fairy granted me one wish. In return, I let him choose the
one internal organ that he wanted to remain intact after I clubbed his

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk