[Gllug] web server specs

Nick Hill t0 at nickhill.co.uk
Mon Oct 1 15:44:52 UTC 2001

I would say hardware reliability is by far the most important aspect. I would avoid using a CPU fan, if possible. I have seen many of these fail.

If you are hosting sites not heavily dependent on large, complex database structures, I would suggest a K6-500 underclocked to 200Mhz, with a non-fan heatsink. If you only need a small amount of storage, I would suggest a solid state disk.

Configuration, packet loss and ping time are probably the most relevant factors for server performance.

Regards

Nick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk