[Gllug] Linux 2.4.12

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 07:41:23 UTC 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, William Palfreman spake:
> More generally, I don't think 2.4 has been going very well recently.  In
> fact, I would say it has got worse since 2.4.6 - that was the last
> genuinely stable version for me.  I've been having a lot of host-specific
> TCP/IP problems after that - all sorts of sites including
> mail.btinternet.com on 110 and moongate.btinternet.com on 25 - both kind
> of important to me - haven't worked properly on any machine running 2.4.7,
> 8, 9 and 10.

Those sites are broken; they are behind firewalls that do not allow
through the TCP ECN bit (in gross violation of the RFC's statements
regarding treatment of reserved bits).

To fix (well, kludge around):

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

to turn off ECN.

--
`A truly dreadful film destined to be a cult classic for masochists.'
                                              --- Chris Priest on _A.I._.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk