[Gllug] Nothing Simple

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 14:56:55 UTC 2001

> I am going to demonstrate RH7.2 here at work but I have use
> switchdesk to move between Gnome and KDE now all I get when I start
> startx is is X with nothing on it what have I done?

OK, If you are getting a horrible green background you've been dumped
down to TWM a very basic windowmanager because nothing else has worked.
If you are getting a grey background, cursor and nothing else then you
are indeed running X with nothing on top of it. This happens when
startx is waiting on something.

Try starting run level 5 (the command is "init 5" from the console) if
you get a login manager up then at least X is working and it's just
your windowmanager setup that is screwed. You might want to check what
the scripts under /etc/X11/xinit are doing. Also you might want to
rename any .x* files in your home directory in case these have become
corrupted.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.
HTH,
Huw

--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk