[Gllug] ADSL recommendations

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Wed Oct 10 16:07:44 UTC 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >I have the USB ADSL, and I have a single static routed address, which has a
> >name both within *.fsnet.co.uk and *.vmlinuz.org.  It isn't all that common,
> >but it isn't really hard to do.
>
> I knew it was technically possible, but I wasn't aware of any UK ISP
> currently offering it.

You may have heard of them.  Freeserve? :-)

It's not technically a static address.  It just doesn't change.

> >There is (I think) at least one ISP which will give you a small routed
> >netblock over the USB service...
>
> Same with that.

http://sod.ms

Yes, really.  They're a Linux-friendly small ISP who will provide a routed
netblock over USB...

> Still, I'm happy with my ethernet USB and its /28 netblock. It's a lot
> less hassle than USB, and costs the same as I was paying for ISDN anyway...

Well, I'd like the ethernet service, but I don't want to pay twice as much
(or more) for a very similar service with a different plug on the end.

Yes, I know it isn't quite that simple, but still...  Anyway, the etehrnet
boxes aren't that expensive, so I could save the USB->ethernet difference
for a few months and *buy* one.  It's not like I'm exactly following the
official T&C anyway, by plugging the frog into a Linux box running
unofficial drivers.

My company used to pay for ISDN, until I got ADSL and cancelled the ISDN.
Hence, the ADSL is costing me almost exactly £40 more per month than my ISDN
was.  And it's worth it :-)

> Tet

Cheers
Richard