[Gllug] Distribution Pecking Order So far

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Oct 25 10:36:43 UTC 2001

>I haven't seen an occasion yet where StarOffice *couldn't* handle a file
>I was send - albeit sometimes with formatting difficulties.

Password protected Excel files...

>Anyone who send me binary e-mail to my non-work address is liable to
>get a reply in PostScript - it's a pretty standard format, and a lot
>more open than MS formats, right? :-)

Congratulations. That falls into the category of "great ideas of our time".
Handcrafting a suitable PostScript reply now...

>I also sent a binary, unstripped copy of Pine to a friend a while
>back, as a backup to my repeated requests to STOP sending my cute
>little Windows programs. I can't run them at work, I don't want
>to run them at home, and no sane company should be allowing any
>MIME-attached file called *.exe, *.com, *.pif or any other Windows
>binary formats through thier mailservers anymore, anyway...

FWIW, they're almost always animations consisting of a flash player and
SWF file bundled into a single executable, and they pretty much all work
under Wine. Just remember not to map your home directory (as the default
Wine config does), or run the risk of virus infected apps deleting all
your files...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk