[Gllug] Tossing my cookies

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 09:22:26 UTC 2001

On Sat, 2001-10-20 at 04:32, David Damerell wrote:

> For one thing, many GPs are working in what are effectively small
> businesses, and there's nothing focusses a small business's attention
> like lining up to give M$ a shitload of money.

You are indeed totally correct in what you say.

However, the discussion really is about the centralHS IM+T policy -
more focussed on the health authorities and the hospitals.

I doubt this deal has anything to do with GP practices - which
as you say are run as like small businesses.
Interestingly enough, the GP practice management world is dominated
by two or three suppliers - VAMP (forget the others).
These are running on legacy platforms.

I think you can recognise them next time you visit a GP.
IMHO, there is a very big market there for an open systems based
practice management software.
I'm not talking about freeware, but a practice management system
run on Linux servers, with a Web interface.
Add in secure Extranet facilities, so that eg. doctors could log
in to see appointment details from home, and you have a winner.

I do apologise if the experts on the list say that such things
exist already!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk