[Gllug] updating red hat

gllug at codex.net gllug at codex.net
Mon Oct 29 13:59:37 UTC 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Lee Blackwell wrote:

> If you decide to stick to recompiling everything from source, I reckon
> you'll be recompiling almost everything on your box.  Conversely, if you
> go for the RPM route as I did, you've got 200Mb's worth of files to get
> hold of, probably more in order to progressively upgrade 6.1->7.0->7.1
>
> So, maybe it would be easier and less time consuming to simply rebuild
> your box with a new distro CD? Maybe 7.1 (or 7.2) and then just start
> again.
>
> I'm going to be doing that myself shortly, as I feel that a new rebuild is
> the only way to really clear out all the crap I've collected over the last
> 18 months or so.

hmmm, this is exactly what i end up doing after followinf bleeding edge
cooker for too long.  eventually, after installing many broken packages,
the system becomes unstable ( in the pkg mgmt sense ), and a complete
re-install is the order of the day.  But, this seems very much like what
i'd have todo if i was running windows!  admitedly, it's not quite the
same, as your installing a whole new OS, not the same old shite.

i take it debian is far more reliable, and you can just continue upgrading
from day dot to y3k day?  comments debian peeps?

--

PGP key:  http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk