[Gllug] Floppies

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Oct 8 10:41:30 UTC 2001

On Friday, 5 Oct 2001, t.clarke wrote:
>Floppies are great for moving round small amounts of data very cheaply
>(ie free, since I have so many kicking around from various sources)
>The drives cost next to nothing too !

Also, they make good boot media. They're more straightforward to write
than CDs (and you probably have a floppy drive in every machine, so
you can write one even when your machine with a CD writer in is dead -
which is handy if you need a rescue disc to boot from to bring it back
to life), and because you rarely use the floppy drive for anything
else, you can leave a floppy in the drive all the time on a machine
that can't boot from hard disc in a way that you couldn't with a CD.

Lastly, the network can't get your file to the copy shop to get it
printed.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk