[Gllug] Getting a rpm file list

Walid walidshaari at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 09:08:42 UTC 2001

 --- tet at accucard.com wrote: >
> >Can anyone point me to a utility/how-to that will let me generate a
> >files list for rpm from the old configure,make ,make install process.
>
> 	configure
> 	make
> 	find / -print | sort > /tmp/files.before
> 	make install
> 	find / -print | sort > /tmp/files.after
> 	diff /tmp/files.before /tmp/files.after
>
> It's crude, slow, and buggy. It'll miss a number of files in some
> cases, and on a multiuser system, you'll probably get some false
> positives. It requires root access. You'll need to hand edit the list
> to remove things like /tmp/files.before (or you could just do some
> cleverness to avoid it being there in the first place). Generally, it
> sucks! But the basic principle will do what you want.

That is why checkinstall is better as it accounts for these problems using
installwatch, IIRC installwatch is not maintaned anymore, and its codebase is
within Checkinstall, have to check the website

> If you know where the files are being installed, you can just search
> those places rather than the whole filesystem, which should make it
> run faster. But then you run the risk of missing something that isn't
> installed where you expect it to be.
>
> Of course, a better approach might be something like a shim library
> library that trapped the appropriate calls, and printed you out a list
> of files created and/or modified:
>
> 	LD_PRELOAD=libfilesnoop.so make install
>
> But someone would need to write one first :-)
>
> Tet
>
> --

Nokia Game is on again.
Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
all media adventure before November 3rd.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk