[Gllug] Ximain/GNOME strangeness

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Oct 15 18:03:08 UTC 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:19:37PM +0100, Simon Stewart wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 04:07:59PM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
>
> > I was sure that I was running Sawfish, as per Ximian defaults.
> > Can anyone tell me how to make SURE that I'm running a certain
> > window manager - ie. what files to poke and prod etc.
>
> Flippantly, 'pstree' and take a look at what processes you're running?
> Or 'ps' and 'grep'?
>
> If you mean "which window manager is being started up automatically?",
> you could poke about in your .xinitrc or .xsession files, though I'm
> sure that this is teaching my Gran how to suck eggs. :)

Gnome prefers to start the wm using it's session manager.  But gnome
session management is hugely unhelpful and clunky.  You're better off
starting Gnome from within the start-up script for your wm.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill